Here are eight tips to help get your home ready for an open house.
Today I’m going to talk about how to prepare your home for an open house:
1. Eliminate half of your belongings. Clutter can cost a sale. I recommend renting a storage unit, bringing a portable POD, or even asking a friend if you could store some stuff in their garage.
2. Clean the outside of the house. Home wash is an excellent product that attaches to your hose and lets you clean your siding. Clean out the gutters as well as the outside windows.
3. Make the front door inviting. Give it a fresh layer of paint or a good clean. If your old house numbers are worn or faded, buy new ones that will be nice and visible from the curb. You might even want to buy a new welcome mat.
4. Organize all your closets and drawers. Buyers are people too. Some might take a look at them.
5. Make a list of necessary repairs. This way the buyers don’t have to add these to their expenses.
6. Clean every available surface. Everything should be shiny from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don’t forget the mirrors, interior windows, and floors. Make sure to scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms. You can also buy an air neutralizer and spray it often to reduce odors.
7. Depersonalize every room. Remove the photo frames and even artwork. Buy new, neutral-colored pillows and linens if necessary. Also, arrange the furniture so that there is as much open space as possible.
8. Let go of your home emotionally. Finally, get yourself mentally ready to sell your home and accept that right offer when it comes.
If you have any questions about this list or other real estate topics, feel free to give me a call. I would love to hear from you.